Obesity has become a global health concern, and for individuals struggling with weight loss, Sleeve Gastrectomy offers a surgical solution. Sleeve Gastrectomy is a popular bariatric procedure that involves reducing the size of the stomach to promote weight loss and improve overall health. In this article, we will explore the details of Sleeve Gastrectomy, its benefits, procedure, and considerations.
Understanding Sleeve Gastrectomy:
Sleeve Gastrectomy, also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy, involves removing a significant portion of the stomach, leaving behind a smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach. By reducing stomach capacity, this procedure helps restrict food intake, leading to weight loss.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy:
Effective weight loss: Sleeve Gastrectomy has shown to result in significant weight loss, with patients often losing 50% or more of their excess body weight.
Improvement in obesity-related health conditions: This procedure can help improve or resolve conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.
Enhanced quality of life: Weight loss achieved through Sleeve Gastrectomy can lead to increased energy levels, improved mobility, and a boost in self-confidence.
The Sleeve Gastrectomy Procedure:
– Pre-operative evaluation: Candidates for Sleeve Gastrectomy undergo a comprehensive evaluation, including medical history assessment, physical examination, and consultations with a multidisciplinary team.
– Surgical process: The procedure is typically performed laparoscopically, utilizing small incisions and a camera-guided scope. Around 80% of the stomach is carefully removed, leaving behind a smaller, tube-like stomach.
– Recovery and lifestyle changes: Following surgery, patients are guided through a recovery period that involves a restricted diet and gradually reintroducing solid foods. It is essential to adopt a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and balanced nutrition, for long-term success.
Considerations and Potential Risks:
– Commitment to lifestyle changes: Sleeve Gastrectomy requires a lifelong commitment to dietary and lifestyle changes for sustainable weight loss.
– Possible risks and complications: As with any surgery, Sleeve Gastrectomy carries potential risks, including bleeding, infection, blood clots, and rarely, leaks from the staple line. Close monitoring and post-operative care are essential.
Sleeve Gastrectomy is an effective surgical procedure for weight loss and improving obesity-related health conditions. By reducing stomach capacity, it provides individuals with a tool to achieve significant and sustained weight loss. However, it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare professional to determine if Sleeve Gastrectomy is the right option based on individual circumstances. With the right support and commitment to lifestyle changes, Sleeve Gastrectomy can be a life-transforming solution for those seeking long-term weight loss and improved well-being.
What is Bariatric Surgery & What to Expect?
Bariatric surgery, also known as weight loss surgery, is a surgical procedure that is performed to help individuals with severe obesity lose weight and improve their overall health. It involves making changes to the digestive system to limit food intake or reduce the absorption of nutrients.
There are several types of bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and gastric banding. Gastric bypass involves creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach and bypassing a portion of the small intestine. Sleeve gastrectomy involves removing a large portion of the stomach, leaving a smaller sleeve-shaped stomach. Gastric banding involves placing an adjustable band around the upper part of the stomach to create a smaller stomach pouch.
Bariatric surgery can lead to significant weight loss and improvement in obesity-related health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. It is typically recommended for individuals who have been unable to achieve significant weight loss through non-surgical methods and who have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or a BMI of 35 or higher with obesity-related health problems.
Before undergoing bariatric surgery, patients undergo a thorough evaluation, including medical tests and consultations with a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals. They will also receive guidance on lifestyle changes, dietary modifications, and post-operative care. Recovery time varies depending on the type of surgery, but most patients can expect to stay in the hospital for a few days and have a gradual transition to solid foods over several weeks.
It’s important to note that bariatric surgery is not a quick fix or a standalone solution for weight loss. It requires long-term commitment to lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet, regular exercise, and ongoing medical follow-up. The specific outcomes and expectations of bariatric surgery can vary for each individual, so it’s important to have open and honest discussions with a healthcare provider to fully understand the procedure and its potential benefits and risks.
Sleeve gastrectomy, also known as gastric sleeve surgery, is a type of weight loss surgery that involves the removal of a large portion of the stomach to create a smaller sleeve-shaped stomach. This procedure helps individuals with obesity to achieve significant weight loss and improve their overall health.
During a sleeve gastrectomy, the surgeon removes approximately 80% of the stomach, leaving behind a smaller stomach pouch that restricts the amount of food that can be consumed. This reduction in stomach size helps to reduce appetite and promote feelings of fullness after eating smaller portions.
The surgery is typically performed laparoscopically, using several small incisions in the abdomen. This minimally invasive approach allows for faster recovery and reduced scarring compared to traditional open surgery.
Sleeve gastrectomy offers several benefits, including substantial weight loss, improvement in obesity-related health conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure, and enhanced quality of life. It can also help individuals achieve long-term weight management and reduce the risk of obesity-related complications.
As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with sleeve gastrectomy, including infection, bleeding, leaks, and nutritional deficiencies. However, these risks can be minimized with proper pre-operative evaluation, post-operative care, and close monitoring by healthcare professionals.
It’s important to note that sleeve gastrectomy is a tool for weight loss and should be accompanied by lifestyle changes, including a healthy diet and regular physical activity, to achieve optimal results. Close follow-up with a healthcare team is crucial to monitor progress, provide ongoing support, and address any concerns or challenges that may arise during the weight loss journey.
Gastric bypass is the surgery performed in the form of bypassing a large part of the stomach, leaving a very small part of the stomach just after the esophagus. The small intestine is brought to the stomach part in accordance with the technique and sutured. Therefore, both the stomach volume decreases and some of the intestines are disabled. And with method, blood sugar control of insulin-dependent diabetics is also regulated more effectively.
Gastric balloon, also known as intragastric balloon, is a non-surgical weight loss procedure that involves placing a deflated balloon in the stomach and then filling it with saline solution. The inflated balloon takes up space in the stomach, which helps to reduce the amount of food that can be consumed and promotes feelings of fullness.
The gastric balloon is inserted into the stomach through the mouth using an endoscope, which is a thin, flexible tube. Once the balloon is in place, it is filled with saline solution, expanding to a size that is comfortable for the patient. The procedure is typically performed on an outpatient basis and does not require any incisions or stitches.
The gastric balloon remains in the stomach for a specific period of time, usually around six months, and is then removed. During this time, patients work closely with a healthcare team, including dietitians and psychologists, to develop healthy eating habits and lifestyle changes that can support long-term weight loss.
Gastric Botox, or Stomach Botox, is an endoscopic application based on injecting Botulinum toxin (botox) into certain stomach parts, such as the fundus part of the stomach, which is the appetite center, thereby interrupting the signaling of the Ghrelin hormone secreted from this region.
Botox acts on and blocks the contraction of the stomach muscles, slowing the digestion of the food and making saturation longer. As a result, it becomes easier to control the appetite after the procedure.
Gastric Banding Surgery
This is applied by a band placed around the stomach, approximately 3-4 cm below the junction of the esophagus and the stomach.
Duodenal Switch Surgery
Duodenal Switch, also known as biliopancreatic diversion surgery, is a highly absorptive and partially volume-restricting surgery.
Complications of the bariatric surgery
The most important complications of the bariatric surgery in both sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass technique are leakage and bleeding. While there are modern techniques and experience, rates of this possibility decreased significantly and the ability to treat has increased.
The modern techniques, such as laparoscopic or robotics allow patients to quickly return to their normal life after surgery, while reducing pain and wound complication rates.
Who is a Candidate for Obesity Surgery?
The primary treatment for obesity is diet and exercise. Losing weight with personalized diet programs and exercise is the healthiest way. But we know that losing weight is unfortunately not easy and often the lost weight cannot be maintained. In the studies, only 4 of 100 patients who were given regular diet and exercise therapy were able to maintain the weight they lost after 1 year. It is determined according to the consensus decisions published by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 1991:
- Obese patients with a Body Mass Index > 40 kg/m2
- Obese patients with a Body Mass Index > 35 kg/m2 and with systemic diseases such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension, sleep-apnea, heart disease, polycystic ovary etc.
The bottom line is that obesity is a critical issue threatening public health. The best way to prevent obesity-related health problems is to maintain the ideal weight and consult a specialist when weight gain is noticed. This way, you can lead a healthier life and do what is necessary to reduce the ideal weight. It would be beneficial for people with obesity problems to apply to a well-equipped health institution without wasting time and evaluate the most suitable options.
In addition to all these points, as mentioned earlier, sleeve gastrectomy facilitates long-term weight loss and the patient’s life quality increases. You can drop up to 60% of your body weight and more in two years, depending on the lifestyle modifications you make. If lifestyle changes aren’t made after sleeve gastrectomy, it’s inevitable to encounter results such as not being able to lose enough weight and regaining the lost weight. To prevent post-surgery complications in the first place, don’t delay your doctor appointments and check-ups, and comply with the nutrition and exercise programs given by the doctor and dietitian.
Top Reasons Why People Choose Turkey for Obesity & Weight Loss Treatments
Top reasons to choose Turkey for obesity and weight loss treatments:
1. Highly Experienced Surgeons: Turkey is known for its skilled and experienced surgeons who specialize in obesity and weight loss treatments. They have extensive knowledge and expertise in performing various procedures with high success rates.
2. Advanced Medical Facilities: Turkey offers state-of-the-art medical facilities equipped with the latest technology and equipment for obesity and weight loss treatments. The clinics and hospitals adhere to international standards and ensure a safe and comfortable environment for patients.
3. Affordable Treatment Costs: Compared to many other countries, the cost of obesity and weight loss treatments in Turkey is significantly more affordable. Patients can save a considerable amount of money without compromising on the quality of care.
4. Short Waiting Times: Turkey is known for its efficient healthcare system, which means shorter waiting times for treatments. Patients can receive prompt medical attention and start their weight loss journey without delay.
5. Comprehensive Treatment Options: Turkey provides a wide range of treatment options for obesity and weight loss, including surgical and non-surgical procedures. Patients can choose the most suitable option based on their condition and goals.
6. Touristic Attractions: Turkey is a beautiful country with a rich cultural heritage and stunning touristic attractions. Patients can combine their treatment with a memorable vacation, enjoying the unique blend of history, nature, and hospitality that Turkey offers.
7. Multilingual Medical Staff: Many healthcare professionals in Turkey are fluent in English and other languages, ensuring effective communication and providing a comfortable experience for international patients.
8. Warm and Supportive Environment: Turkish medical staff and healthcare providers are known for their warm and caring approach towards patients. They strive to make patients feel welcome, supported, and comfortable throughout their treatment journey.
9. Positive Patient Reviews: Turkey has gained a reputation for delivering excellent results in obesity and weight loss treatments. Many patients who have undergone procedures in Turkey have shared their positive experiences and outcomes.
10. Health Tourism Infrastructure: Turkey has a well-developed health tourism infrastructure, including specialized travel agencies and facilitators who assist patients with travel arrangements, accommodation, and other logistical needs.
Overall, Turkey offers a combination of high-quality treatments, affordability, experienced doctors, and a supportive environment, making it a popular choice for individuals seeking obesity and weight loss treatments.
Best Bariatric Surgery in Turkey
Op. Dr. Ceyhun Aydogan
Op. Dr. Ceyhun Aydogan is one of the most popular surgeons in Istanbul, and leads the obesity and weight loss treatment at his private clinic (Tugay Yolu Caddesi, No: 20/B No:19 Ofisim Istanbul Plazalari, Maltepe, Istanbul www.ceyhunaydogan.com) with his dedicated team of professionals, and in collaboration with dieticians, physiologists, and nurses.
He has been working as a Surgical Specialist in the field of Obesity, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery for more than 11 years. He operates all the procedures with FDA-approved technologies, and offers free Dietary and psychological support for 12 months after the surgery. He also aims to provide his patients with the best services through the utilization of state-of-art technologies.
He has more than 12 years of experience in obesity, weight loss treatment, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Balloon, metabolic, diabetes and bariatric surgery and performed more than 4,000 successful surgeries. He performs the surgeries at Private Acibadem Hospital, one of the class A private hospitals in Istanbul.
Cayra Clinic Istanbul & Antalya
Cayra Clinic (Istanbul-Antalya, cayraclinic.com) is a top trending medical tourism provider and medical clinic providing very good quality and professional medical services for its patients from all over the world with its team of professionals having above 15 years of experience. Cayra Clinic offers all inclusive medical treatments within a safe environment and very affordable prices and travel costs.
Cayra Clinic has already accompanied above 5000 patients worldwide through JCI approved and Turkish Ministry of Health accredited clinics, surgeons, doctors, specialists and hospitals in Istanbul and Antalya.
Cayra also offers all inclusive medical treatment and travel packages, personal treatment plans, after care, privacy and transparency for its patients with affordable prices. Their packages includes flights, VIP airport transfers, luxury accommodation, interpreters, city tours.
Top medical treatments offered by Cayra Clinic include Hair Transplant, Dentistry, Face-Body Aesthetic Surgeries, Obesity Surgeries, Surgeries for Man, Eye Surgery, Breast Surgeries